May 13, 2010

Celia Quinn Workshop -- A Cultural Experience

I've been so bad lately about posting!... But, I have legitmate excuses!  First there was GWAS (a GREAT show), then the 'Crimp and Lock Pen Sale' with Wildlife Ranch Suri Alpacas and Alpacas de la Patagonia the next weekend, followed by Mother's Day... And peppered in between, the kids' school events like the "Couger" Fun Day!  (Don't say 'cougar day' when you are a woman, since for some reason with the new TV show it makes people snicker now)... Well, anyway, you get the picture, I've been busy.  Really I have!  Does that make you feel better that I 've ignored you for so long?

So, to 'catch' up, I'm going to post several in a row and I'm going to short-circuit some of Celia Quinn info.  Besides, you taking one of her classes soon anyways ;).


This posting shows some of the many items that she displayed and talked about.  She did more than just talk about how to spin silk, and even more than about just the silkworm themselves, -- she also gave insight into cultural aspects, as well as a bit of an autobiography.  She had many items that she made and/or picked up in her travels.  This went well with her many slide pictures showing her trips and cultural influences on silk (and vice versa).  When you really 'into' a new thing like this, I find it captivating to hear about 'way back when':  in the beginning, at first, etc.  Just a quick side note, at the Crimp and Lock Pen Sale, I found that very interesting to talk with Jim Weir and Hugo Ulloa about the start of alpacas in the US and the early purchases. We ended up staying there until almost midnight (well past the event end of 6 pm :) talking with them.  The discussions were varied, informative, and fun.

So, here are a few pictures from Celia's class.  I have some more pics in our Facebook site's album area, rather than bog the blog down.  :)  Please feel free to go and look at more.  I will try to keep adding FB photo albums....maybe even FlickR pics as well one day.  Take care and talk again soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment