Feb 17, 2010

C'est la vie: If a cat can be a duck, then so can I...

This video is both hilarious and educating... If a cat can 'be a duck' then so can I!
(click on the play to see the cat video)



Have you ever heard of the phrase "like water over a duck's back"?

Well, I'm not an expert on American folk lore and colloquialisms, but I have always taken this to mean that you should let the 'negative' things pass over you like water passes over the duck's specially water-resistant feathers. ..."no big deal," "C'est la vie," "live and let live." You get the picture.

Ironically, for me this has been harder said than done. I like to control things, shape them, make them better, make them mine. A little scary, huh? I quickly discovered that life doesn't let you do that, not really. It's just your perception that you are in control. Then, life likes to jerk the rug out every once in a while just to keep you on your toes (or flat on your back). I swear I can almost here a puerile laugh in my head when I hit the floor, figuratively speaking.

So, my New Year's Resolution a while back was to be a duck. Let the things I couldn't control slide over my back. I rationalized that this was not giving up, that this was being realistic - even more importantly, this was being happier.

You know what? I was right. Don't get me wrong, it's hard work to be a duck. I have to remind myself all the time. I'm a duck, I'm a duck, I'm a... !@*&#@* Argh! What?! Oh yeah, I'm a duck.

But hey, if a cat can look on the positive - getting a drink even if you have to get your head wet - then I can too! We're both ducks!

No comments:

Post a Comment